Thank you for your interest in auditioning for the Corvallis Youth Symphony’s 2020-2021 Season! To audition for CYS, students must be members of their school instrumental music program and in grades 9-12.
Due to the challenges presented by Covid-19, this upcoming season will look quite a bit different from past seasons. During the Fall (September-December), CYS will operate as a hybrid program, consisting of a combination of small ensembles (spaced as necessary) and online engagement–including classes, lectures, and interviews with world-renowned musicians, composers, and conductors! In December, we will hold a live-streamed performance of our small instrumental ensembles. We hope to return to full orchestral rehearsals and repertoire in the new year, but will make all decisions based on Oregon Health Authority and school district guidelines. Either way, we plan to deliver quality musical content to the students of the mid-Willamette Valley, as CYSA has done for the past 38 years!
All auditions will be through Video Submission only. Videos are due by July 10. See Audition and Video Submission requirements below. Audition results will be emailed to families by Monday, July 20.
- 2-octave (minimum) or 3-octave (preferred) major or minor scale of your choice.
- Contrasting sections (lyrical/technical) from a solo in the standard repertoire. Please prepare no more than 2-3 minutes of each section.
- Play a 2-octave (minimum) or 3-octave (preferred) major or minor scale of your choice on a mallet instrument or piano.
- Play one concert snare solo (a solo piece of your choosing, such as from Cirone’s Portraits in Rhythm, or you can use THIS piece).
- Optional: Play an etude or piece for mallet instrument.
Video Submission Requirements
- Please submit your audition video as a link in the audition submission form below. Your link can be an Unlisted YouTube video link; a Dropbox link; a Google Drive link, or any other large-file sharing service.
- If you are not able to provide a link for your video file, you can email your audition video file to CYSA Orchestra Manager, Megan Anderson, at email@example.com.
- Make sure your video audition shows you and your instrument clearly in the shot, and that you are in a well-lit room (avoid filming in front of windows).
- Please submit videos in one-take (no editing).
- Your video will be viewed only by the CYS Conductor and Audition Panel.
- Please complete this form below, including sharing your video link below or emailing your audition video, by July 10.
- Contact CYSA Orchestra Manager, Megan Anderson, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Audition results will be emailed to families by Monday, July 20.